HyExperts II: City of Hagen
The city of Hagen, with a population of around 195,000, is considered the connecting link between the Ruhr region and the Sauerland. Due to its special geographical location and the high density of energy-intensive steel processing and logistics companies, Hagen has excellent conditions for entering the hydrogen age. With high-performance connections to the electricity and natural gas grids and links to two main transport axes (A1 and A45 motorways), the Hagen-Kabel site in particular offers the best conditions for becoming the nucleus of a local hydrogen economy and for establishing infrastructures for the distribution and storage of hydrogen. In addition, the utilisation of biogenic waste in inner-city power plants, with the additional use of renewable electricity for hydrogen production, enables a high regional added value with great multiplier potential.
Within the scope of the Hagen HyExpert project, various guiding questions and project ideas in different sectors are to be investigated, e.g.:
- What potential for hydrogen production exists in Hagen?
- What infrastructure should be built in Hagen and how will Hagen be networked with the “rest of the hydrogen world”?
- How can we prepare the changeover of long-distance transport, public transport and rail vehicles to fuel cell powered vehicles?
- How can hydrogen be used in Hagen’s industry?
- What is the significance of hydrogen for future viability and jobs in Hagen’s industry?
- What potential for value creation does the hydrogen economy offer Hagen’s companies?
- Where and how can the heat supply in Hagen be decarbonised?
City of Hagen – ENERVIE Südwestfalen Energie und Wasser AG – HAGEN.WIRTSCHAFTSENTWICKLUNG GmbH